Saturday, September 16, 2006

A RETURN

My dorm room has been poster'd. My schedule has been figure'd. Now I have some serious updates.

Just before I moved back to campus I saw Will Oldham of Bonnie "Prince" Billy play at New World Record in Buffalo, New York with Justin PK. His new album "the letting go" was just released on Drag City and its more of the intelligent, dark and thin, down-home songwritin' that we like from the man (who drives a subaru forrester, by the way). After I did the interview for WRUR, I just asked him about Edith Frost, his Drag City labelmate and a woman I would go to war for. She is very good with computers.

I saw Owen at the Bug Jar with Our Brother The Native and Joan Of Arc. I wish Owen had played longer. It was just Mark Kinsella and his acoustic guitar, and what I thought were two guitar parts on the record were apparently ALL HIM. Our Brother The Native was sort of a gimmicky noise act and couldn't stop thinking "I can't wait for Xiu Xiu to come and play this stage" while they were on. They were just kids though and you can't blame them. Joan Of Arc was all right (Mark's drumming the highlight for me, that man is talented) and pretty enjoyable except for the 20something molesting me. David punched him in the stomach. I tried to subtly headbutt him but met with no success.

Two nights ago was Tracy Morrow, Shearwater, and Magnolia Electric Co. Tracy Morrow likes Genesee Cream Ale, that all I have to say about that. I like Shearwater, A LOT. Not only are they the nicest musicians I've ever come across but they put on a wonderful show. The drummer's name is Thor, he's friendly and dabbles in art and ambient music as well. He is an incredible performer, and his parts were very creative (to my untrained ear, at least). The multi-instrumentalist guy was dramatic and made tambourine entertaining without looking like a douchebag. He also played bass and keys and guitar. Bassist lady was always smiling, as Nicketti noted and then told her. She played double bass and every guy in the room wanted to help her carry it to the van after the show (what? it looked heavy!). Frontman/God Jonathan Meisburg tore it UP. He had a Harmony Rocket, perhaps the greatest guitar I've ever been near, and his keyboard was housed in a homemade wooden box thing for the organic feel. When he sang and really had to belt, he would turn his head up and his tongue would come really far out. Like a baby bird sort of. There was a woodpecker on this banjo. They didn't have t-shirts my size. I asked if Misra Records would ever have a t-shirt and they said hahah no and then i asked about Edith Frost of course. Cause I am obsessed.

I couldn't go to the show, but Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin slept over at our place. Good guys, buy the record Broom when it's rereleased on Polyvinyl(!), its incredible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home