Tuesday, October 24, 2006

HEADLIGHTS/CANADA - 10/17


Where else would this show be? The fine folks at the Bug Jar seem to have arranged another show just for me! This thursday I'll once again put on my groveling-cap, head to Monroe Ave. to take in some expansive, wispy young folk's americana (ironically from Detroit outfit Canada). They have released this Pitchfork-panned, Joe-adored on Quite Scientific Records, which I have never heard of but since the word "science" is in it, they are probably geniuses. (Genii? I think I just had this conversation.)

I think I have already written about Headlights. I've got a wicked big crush on the girl though. And the dudes. Don't judge me. Have you heard "Put Us Back Together Right"? Wait, that's from a post I began and never posted. Here is what I wrote circa one week ago about the song:

"After hearing a particularly rousing Headlights song, I am even more anxious to see them when they swing round this edge of the Rust Belt with Canada.

This song is brilliant. Rock piano isn't as easy to write with as it seems (Hey Jude was not written in a day). When I hear a song that not only has a great piano part but the song absolutely depends on it, I latch on like a frightened four-year-old. The chord progression is that same tired major-major-minor-major that seems to appear in every other song written since "Let It Be," but you know, taking your cues from the Beatles is not a bad decision. This was a particularly good one for Headlights - it's harnesses despair and angst without coming off like a high schooler. The lyrics speak to that feeling that you and your close friends are broken together and it's not entirely you guys's fault. Our generation hasn't had nearly as many songs like this as the one before us (a gap mostly due to the Who). Sure, this song doesn't say anything monumental that hasn't been said before, but no one is saying it for people under 30. I don't know, I just want to be friends with them."

SO GO TO THIS SHOW. It's on October 26 at the Bug Jar. It's only $6 over, $8 under.Take the 72 Red Line around 8:30-ish, 9 to get there comfortably, casually late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home